You may wonder why there is a need to get a building permit if you try to improve or repair your home. Well, this is very important, as this will ensure that the process you will undertake adheres to the standards set for your area. There are zoning rules and regulations as well as building codes that you have to adhere to. This is for your safety and for the safety of your community.
However, not all repairs and home improvements permis de construire maison require permits, which is why you have to be more familiar of when permits are required. This is especially true if you do not work with contractors. If you work with contractors, they will accomplish the permits in your behalf.
You will most likely be required to get a permit when you do a major renovation. This is necessary because it is important that you follow the standard set for building new structures in your area. In addition to standardizing the safety of the structure, these standards are also set for the functionalities of the buildings or property. If you will convert your home or a portion of your home to an office, then, you will be required to acquire a permit.
Another important thing you have to bear in mind is the fact that permits are important. They are not just pieces of papers that you pay in the building department of your neighborhood. They are required because it is important that you follow the building regulations in your area.
You need to follow a systematic process of acquiring a permit.
1. It officially starts by submitting the required documents to the building agency. The intended repair and constructions should be specified. It is also essential that the plan or the blueprint of the renovation be attached.
2. The authorized personnel will review the submitted files.
3. After reviewing the application, an inspector may be asked to check your home before the project can start.
4. After your application is approved, the project can start. The project may be monitored by the assigned inspector during the process.
5. Bear in mind that you need to start and complete the project at a specified time. If you will not be able to complete the project during the due date, you will be asked to procure another permit.
As mentioned earlier, permits are not required in all the changes you do in your home. You will not need permits in simple repairs like replacing fixtures, unless this will affect your water or plumbing system. You will not be needing permits as well if you repaint your wall. Permits required are not the same everywhere as well. This depends on the city, state or neighborhood.
One major factor to consider in requiring permit is its effect on the major systems of the property. If it affects the heating, cooling, electrical and water systems, then prepare to apply for the permits. If you are unsure about whether to get one or not, check with your local building agency first to verify.